Frequently Asked Questions about Undergraduate Study

How do I know which Spanish language course to register for?

Students must either take a placement exam in order to take a Spanish course. For information on the placement exam please call 212-998-8110.

If students have taken the SAT II exam they can use these scores to register for a course. Please call the department with your score and we can advise you on what course to enroll in, 212-998-8770.

Students who score a 4 or 5 on the AP Language Exam are exempt from the University's language requirement. They can enroll in V95.0100 Advanced Grammar and Composition.

Students with scores above 720 on the SAT II or University Placement Exam must take a short written exam in the Spanish department in order to determine whether they can enroll in a course above V95.0100 Advanced Grammar and Composition.

I am a native speaker, which class should I register for?

We offer Basic Spanish for Spanish Speakers as well as Advanced Spanish for Spanish Speaking students; please make an appointment to meet with the Director of Language Program to help you determine which course is appropriate for you and also provide you with the necessary access codes to register for courses.

What are the prerequisites for Advanced Spanish Language Courses?

In order to enroll in an Advanced Spanish literature and culture courses students must take V95.0200 Critical Approaches: Reading, Writing and Textual Analysis.

Does Advanced Spanish Conversation count towards the Spanish minor?

Advanced Spanish Conversation counts towards the Spanish minor.